Monday, April 30, 2007

5 Guidposts of emotional self-control






  • Feeling is important. Having feelings and expressing feelings have a signifcant difference. In any circumstances, don't not cut off feeling, turn down your feeling, block your feeling in any way.




  • Control the emtion won't change the outcome of things, but
1. You will feel a lot better.
2. Things won't get worse.

5 Guidposts of emotional self-control that help you cope with the unexpected situations.


A. Check your feelings. Are you calm?
B. Stop and think what you will wanna say and do before you do it. Does it make sense? (Do not avoid the problem) Give yourself an opportunity to express the situation honestly and clearly.
C. Consider the other people’s perspectives. Do they have points? And be Empathetical!
D. Act in a way that will make you proud!
E. Talk to God. (I add this extra point by myself. +_+ )

These 5 guidposts are cool. This is what I learned from the video at last "Applied Psychology".
I guess this is going to help me a lot in many ways. Tons of feelings will be going on at the same time while getting along with people or having a teamwork with them. If I know to cope with my emotion in different unexpected situations, I guess I won't have to be regretful a lot of times.

Good to learn about these new things. I will put these suggestions into action because I get tons of teamworks at college and probably at workplace in the future! My past school education and family education didn't teach me how to deal with the emotion. I guess the culture of Chinese/Taiwan just don't care about emotion. Instead of teaching students to how to cope with their emotions, the teachers would like to teach students how to get higher sores on exams. Thus, a lot of Taiwan students (and grow-ups) don't know how to deal with their emotions and others' emotions.

I was blocking my feelings a lot of times because I didn't wish to ruin the relationship with others. This way, I didn't express my feelings and my thoughts appropriately and clearly. I wasn't happy about how I dealt with this.
From now on, I wll act in a way that make me proud because Jesus is in me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now. Keep it up!
And according to this article, I totally agree with your opinion, but only this time! :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?